Mammoth Mountain is one of the largest ski resorts in North America with over 150 trails, 3,100 feet of vertical and 3,500 acres of ride-able terrain. At a peak elevation of 11,053 feet, Mammoth Mountain is also the tallest ski resort in California.
The mountain is Mammoth by both name and nature, and the ski resort's enormous size is accessed by the largest uphill transportation service in North America. There are a total of 30 lifts capable of moving more than 50,000 skiers per hour across some of the most varied and exciting skiing and snowboarding terrain on the West coast. This includes high speed quads, 2 high speed six packs and 3 high speed gondolas.
With this much terrain, there is abundant challenges for beginner through expert skiers and riders. Approximately 75% of the terrain is rated for intermediate and advanced, and the remaining 25% is for beginning snow fanatics. Mammoth is legendary for its appeal to Southern California snowboarders, who migrate each Winter to the resorts' 3 award winning half pipes and 8 terrain parks.
All of Mammoth's trails are open to snowboarders. There are three Unbound Terrain Parks, three pipes, eight runs and 90 acres of freestyle terrain. Mammoth's Unbound Terrain Parks are recognized around the world for technical perfection and the variety of features. Comprised of seven parks and three pipes, Unbound has features suitable for everyone from the beginner to the expert freestyle skiers and competitive snowboarders.
Mammoth has a reputation for early season openings - generally in the first half of November thanks to a combined effort between its extensive snow making facilities and the natural stuff. In the latter category, more than 30 feet of snow is dumped on Mammoth each season - somewhere in between the 300 days of sunshine per year. That means when the white stuff falls, it falls hard and fast, and the powder days are epic. This abundance also helps the resort to stay open late - sometimes into July!
The mountain is surrounded by the protected backdrop of Mt. Whitney and Yosemite National Park. Amongst this natural beauty, the town meets the mountain to create a distinctive and welcoming area for visitors and locals alike. Mammoth Mountain was established in 1950 by skiing legend Dave McCoy.
- Top Elevation: 11,054 feet
- Vertical Drop: 3,100 feet
- Skiable Acres: 3,500 acres
- Trails: 150
Mammoth Mountain's Terrain
- Beginner: 25%
- Intermediate: 40%
- Advanced: 35%
- Halfpipes: 3
- Terrain Parks: 3
- Snowmaking: 33%
- Total X-Country: 45 km
Mammoth Mountain's Lifts
- 28 Total Lifts
- High Speed Quads: 9
- High Speed 6-Packs: 2
- High Speed Gondolas: 3
Mammoth Mountain's Season
- Sunshine: Over 300 days of sunshine
- Season: Winter approx. Nov to June
- Website: www.mammothmountain.com
- Phone: 760-934-2571
Parks & Pipes
Family fun is the name off the game in Disco Park where small bumps and beginner jibs offer groms and their parents a chance to get a little radical. More experienced riders can head over to South Park and Forest Trail Park to hone their skills before taking on the big and burly Unbound Main Park.
And if you're looking to check out all of the parks, there's a list of them below in increasing levels of difficulty.
- Disco Park
- Wonderland Park
- Forest Trail Park
- Jibs Galore
- South Park
- Main Park
Mammoth Mountain opened its 22-foot tall Super Duper Pipe on Sunday, February 15, 2009. Mammoth Mountain is one of only a handful of resorts in the world to offer a halfpipe of this size and is the only resort in North America to offer three different-sized halfpipes.
- 500+ feet long
- 22 foot walls (compared to 18 on the Super Pipe)
- 62 feet wide vert to vert (at the top)
If half pipes are your thing then take a look at the Mini Pipe in the Wonderland Park off of Chair 7. Once you master edge to edge control, head over to Main Park and checkout the Superpipe (complete with 18' walls) or the Super Duper Pipe and its towering, 22' walls.
And if you'd like to checkout a list of the parks, it's below.
- Wonderland Pipe (in Wonderland Park)
- Super Pipe (in Main Park)
- Super Duper Pipe (in Main Park)
Designed to complement the Family Fun Parks, "Adventure Zones" will be located near Disco Park, Forest Trail, Wonderland Park and Juniper/Eagle Express Lift.
- Woolly's Woods at chair 11
- Twilight Zone off Forrest Trail
- Alligator Pit at chair 17
- Voodoo Chute off Juniper
Don't miss Mammoth's newest adventure – on slope Igloos. Tucked in the trees near the Discovery Chair, Chair 25 and Canyon Express, these igloos, built with a unique inflatable system developed in Austria, are open to young and old alike to explore. Created out of solid snow and strong enough to withstand the weight of a Snowcat, these igloos are a perfect play spot for kids and used by Mammoth Ski and Snowboard School for breaks from the slopes and snowplay areas.